Property claims on behalf of children

Where unmarried couples have children and are disputing rights over a property cohabitees, it might be appropriate to issue proceedings under the Children Act 1989 on behalf of the children alongside a claim in their own right.  For example, an unmarried mother may make a claim against property owned by the father’s property and may also need a top-up of capital to provide for the children’s housing needs which will be kept until the youngest child’s 18th birthday.

Both sets of proceedings will be dealt with as one but the court will consider the mother’s claim before the children’s claim.

For information regarding the mother’s claim, see the information regarding Owning Property Jointly and Living Together